The X Factor has received even more bad news.
After ratings fell last year, it’s now been reported that local auditions are failing to pull in the crowds. Eek.
When the booth arrived at Southend’s Royals Shopping Centre on Friday, there didn’t seem to be huge amounts of people waiting for their chance in the spotlight.
One auditionee told Echo News: ‘Southend was the nearest audition to me so I made a spur of the moment decision to come up here.
‘They said all the auditions from across the country will be shown to the producers and we’ll hear back by July, so it could be a long wait.
‘I’ve not seen anyone else around auditioning but I though mine went well, I’ll just have to wait and see I guess’
As well as this, only three hopefuls were said to have turned up to auditions in Chelmsford last week. Hmmm.
However, show bosses have said that most applications are completed online, where wannabes upload videos of themselves singing.
A spokeswoman explains: ‘Tens of thousands of people have already applied for The X Factor this year before we have even announced the locations for our main, open auditions, which start next month.
‘The auditions in Chelmsford were part of our mobile auditions, which is a small, local tour taking place across the UK designed to allow budding artists to try out in towns and cities where the larger open auditions tour doesn’t reach.’
Phew. And there’s no doubt that everyone wants to know who this year’s judges and hosts will be.
We already know that Nick Grimshaw has quit the panel, while Caroline Flack and Olly Murs won’t be returning as presenters.
Now Caroline’s former Xtra Factor co-host Matt Richardson has stuck up for his pal, who’s left after just one year on the main programme.
The 24-year-old tells the Radio Times: ‘I think it’s a real shame that Caroline’s taken a bullet when she was the only redeeming feature.
‘I think it’s a shame that she’s been made to look like she wasn’t good enough because she was brilliant.’
Aw. Onwards and upwards, Cazza!