We all look at our uni days through rose-tinted lenses. “The best three years of your life, I miss it so much”, you parrot to anyone marginally younger than you. And while there is some truth to that statement, you should also be grateful that you’re no longer slumming it at university. Instead, you’re slumming it in a slightly bigger house that you call home. Welcome to graduate life.
This frighteningly accurate sketch from Victorious Sponge highlights what every graduate will say during the pre-career stage of their life. Covering everything from job-seeking, to LinkedIn and hustling deals with an expired student card.
The post-uni days can be quite bleak. Packing up your stuff and saying goodbye to great drink deals, full days of laying about guilt free and having immediate access to all of your friends. Some people stay in their university town but that doesn’t mean they won’t reach back to their Mum when they need to odd tenner.
The whole sketch is absolutely brilliant but here are some particularly brilliant quotes that we’ve all said at one point or another:
- “You know, I’ve been thinking about just doing a masters“
- “Oh fuck off, Natwest. You’ll get your money back”
- “Do you know how to write a cover letter?”
- “Go for the student one anyway, they’re not going to check”
- “We’re never going to be able to afford to pay that debt back, you realise that?”
- “Remember that time in third year…”
- “I think I’ll just move to London”
When you’re at university this is just a funny, kinda relatable sketch. Once graduate life actually hits you, it’s a disturbing documentary of your greatest insecurities. The sketch does bring up some big issues like knowing how to use LinkedIn and writing a cover letter will really save you a lot of hassle.
Enjoy graduate life, everyone!