An unfortunate end to the week as the news breaks that US treasure and To Kill A Mockingbird author, Harper Lee has passed away at age 89. The novelist was considered to be one of the great American storytellers.
The news was confirmed by the mayor’s office of Lee’s hometown of Monroeville, Alabama where Nelle Harper Lee was born back in 1926. Possessing a gift for writing at a very early age, Lee’s masterwork, To Kill A Mockingbird, has permeated and influenced almost three generations since it was published back in 1962.
The book dealt with the conscious climate of the American South and has introduced concepts of race, equality, tolerance and loss of innocence to over 30 million people since.
Losing Harper Lee is a tragedy but we will forever cherish the immortality of her words. Here are Harper Lee’s 10 most inspirational quotes.
1. “Real courage is when you know you’re licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.”
2. “Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”
3. “Before I can live with other folks I’ve got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.”
4. “You’ve really got to start hitting the books because it’s no joke out here.”
5. “I think there’s just one kind of folks. Folks.”
6. “Many receive advice, only the wise profit from it”
7. “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view.”
8. “The book to read is not the one which thinks for you, but the one which makes you think.”
9. “I never expected any sort of success with ‘Mockingbird’… I sort of hoped someone would like it enough to give me encouragement.”
10. “It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived.”