Stuck in a boring job wishing you could be doing something more creative? Want to start your own business? Meet Kia Stanford, an interior designer with a difference who started Kia Designs when she was just 24-years-old.
With a real passion for moving the industry into the 21st century, entrepreneur Kia is a pretty interesting and unique woman. And she gets what you’re going through: “I hope in the future there will be a way that going from university to working isn’t quite as painful“. You’re going to love her so read on and enjoy.
1. Talk us through your career journey and how you arrived at your business today.
2. Did you always want to go into interior design?
3. What challenges did you face in starting your company?
4. Your company has been described as ‘design with a difference’ – tell us about that.
5. What is your advice for aspiring interior designers and where do you think the industry is heading?
Getting experience is essential, a degree or diploma in interior design will give you technical knowledge but remember that you need to be able to turn client’s dreams in to a reality. That requires a lot of knowledge that you won’t have until you get out there and try and actually specify items and learn about the industry. Use your holiday wisely and try and get as much experience in the industry as possible.
I hope in the future there will be a way that going from university to working isn’t quite as painful and gives new interior designers a kick start in the industry!