You can quote more lines from it than any other movie. Even though you’ve seen it x15362 times, you still cry at pretty much every scene. Basically, it’s one of the best films EVER. But did you know these funny facts about Love Actually?
1. The word ‘actually’ is spoken 22 times in the film.
2. Colin Firth’s love interest in the film, Portuguese actress Lucia Moniz, was never supposed to be in Love Actually. She only got the part because her friend sent the casting director pictures of her, and she was eventually cast.
3. Emma Thomson had to wear a fat suit to play Karen, as she was simply too slender in real life!
4. The film originally had a whopping 14 storylines, but was eventually cut down to ten as it would have been too long. One followed the bossy headmistress of the local school, and another was based on a a man who wrote an entire pop album about a girl he fancied at school (who just happened to be director Richard Curtis’ friend)…
5. Andrew Lincoln wrote his ‘To Me, You Are Perfect’ signs himself. ‘It’s funny, because the art department did it, and then I said, “Well, can I do it?” because I like to think that my handwriting is really good,’ he told Entertainment Weekly. We’re impressed!
6. Remember Joanna’s amazing rendition of Mariah’s All I Want for Christmas is You at the Christmas concert? Well, young actress Olivia Olson’s voice was so brilliant that Curtis actually had to edit it in post-production to make it sound more childlike.
7. The Heathrow airport footage at the start and end of the film features ALL real people, not actors. A team of cameramen hung out at the airport for a week and filmed people reuniting without them knowing, so those reactions are all real. Aww.
8. Ever wondered why Liam Neeson’s character often had a toothpick hanging out of his mouth? It’s because the actor had just quit smoking, and became reliant on a toothpick to take its place.
9. Hugh Grant HATED that hilarious dancing scene in the Prime Minister’s office. ‘He was HUGELY grumpy about it,’ remembered Richard. ‘He was so wanting his bit not to be fake; he wanted to feel as though he could be prime minister. Whenever I said, “Do it a bit sweeter” or “do it a bit more charming,” he thought he was being tricked.’
10. The lake that Lucia Moniz and Colin Firth jump into was only 18 inches deep! The pair had to walk on their knees and pretend they were swimming. Oh, and it was also covered in mosquitoes, which resulted in Firth having to see a doctor after one of his bites swelled to the size of an avocado. Eek!
11. Those strange-looking Barbies that Emma Thompson held up as Christmas presents for her daughters friends were actually Ken dolls in drag. Hehe.