Jamie Dornan doesn’t really need too much of an introduction now does he? After fulfilling every woman’s Fifty Shades fantasy earlier this year playing the bondage-loving lothario Christian Grey (perfect…in a purely literary sense of course), the rugged Northern Irishman has now been catapulted into the sex-symbol stratosphere, and there isn’t any sign that he’ll be returning to earth any time soon…
In celebration of Jamie, just generally, we’ve got some fun facts – and hot pictures – you need to know about this leading man…
1. He’s a fan of Gogglebox. Yes, really. Jamie has signed up for Channel 4’s hit show as part of a whole week of special programmes in honour of Stand Up To Cancer. He will be joined on the sofa by Shaun Of The Dead actor, Nick Frost on Friday, 9th October. We only wish it were us snuggling up to him on that sofa. Sigh.
2. He wasn’t the hearthrob you might expect at school. “My sister’s friends would say: ‘You’re so cute.’ I hated that. If you are a skinny, baby-faced teenager, the last thing you want to hear is that you’re cute.”
3. Rugby was his passion growing up and he played winger for the Belfast Harlequins. His training regime? Plenty of Big Macs and press-ups. He’s never worked hard to stay in shape, claiming to eat “any old crap, I could eat 10 packs of Hula Hoops a day and not think about it.”
4. He has been contracted to Dior, Armani and Calvin Klein. His portfolio of pants-only pictures prompted the New Yorks times to nickname him ‘The Golden Torso’.
5. He dated Keira Knightley from 2003-2005 after meeting her on an Asprey photoshoot. “I don’t think I’m ever going to be as famous as her,” he once said. Famous last words, Jamie.
6. His most notorious campaign was with Kate Moss for Calvin Klein jeans in which both of them were oiled up and topless. Google it. It’s worth it.
7. Jamie hadn’t read Fifty Shades until he tested for the part. “Look, the film is not the book. It’s an adaptation,” he said. Fair point.
8. He stresses how filming sex scenes is never sexy: “There are dozens of hairy men standing around, moving cables and lighting equipment. That’s not sexy unless you’re into being watched, which I’m not.”
9. He’s now a dab hand with knots. “There are a couple of classic knots I know now and I’ve put them to good use far too many times recently, ” he said. “In fact I’d like to do a job where I don’t have to tie women to beds.”
10. Watching the level of fame his friend Robert Pattinson garnered from Twilight has prepared him for the inevitable Fifty Shades hysteria: “I’ve seen seen what it’s been like for him. The last time I saw him we just got drunk.”
11. He’s an old romantic and once surprised a girlfriend with a trip to Venice, only revealing the destination at the airport gate.
Written by Joanna Usmar