If you’re familiar with Mad Men, chances are you’re already worshipping at the church of Betty Draper. She of the perfectly coiffured hair, enviable wardrobe and withering looks has taught us more than once what it is to be a badass. She survived being married to Don Draper (swoon, but also no swooning because he was an awful, remorseless cheat) only to elope with another handsome, successful man, and she even managed to look like a supermodel while casually doing the gardening.
The show may have come to an end last year, but we’re still not quite over our Betty obsession. So without further ado, this is how to be more Betty Draper in 2016. Trust us, you won’t regret it.
1. She won’t let anybody try and quash her dreams…
She’s Betty Draper, for heaven’s sake. And she can speak a European language!
2. She’s not afraid to tell people what she wants…
Not that they’re going to be able to stop her.
3. She can overlook certain things…
Those pyjamas. We’re talking about the pyjamas. Definitely don’t overlook a cheating husband.
4. She puts people in their place…
We’re not advocating physical violence, or anything.
5. She knows how to have fun on vacay…
It’s all about the fist pump.
6. She understands the enduring appeal of an eye roll.
Works particularly well in a supermarket setting.
7. She remains calm and poised in the face of humiliation…
Because we’ve all got our own Sally Draper to contend with.
8. She looks like this in her swimmers…
9. …But there was also the time she did this:
It’s like a flashback to Christmas Day…
10. She gives sound parental advice…
Just calm down, Sally.
11. She can even express her disappointment over the phone:
For when an eye roll just won’t do.
12. She likes a good time…
Who said “Dry January?”
13. And then there was the time she took matters into her own hands…
Because she’s a boss. And she can do whatever she wants.