There are SO many tattoos to choose from in the world. But did you know that there’s one in particular that the entire celebrity circuit are flocking to get inked?
So, which could it be? The bird? A loved one’s initials? Well, no. In fact, Hollywood’s go-to tatt is the Sailor Jerry anchor.
The anchor is supposed to signify stability and security, which is why sailors used to get ‘Mum’ inked across an anchor back in the good ol’ days.
And it’s had major resurgence amongst the celebrity circuit. Here’s which celeb ladies are loving the Sailor Jerry.
1) Lady Gaga: The singer’s anchor is situated on the left side of her ribcage, was first inked back in 2012 and holds a very romantic meaning. ‘New Tat. Stamp of His Mermaid,’ Gaga tweeted at the time. Rumour has it that it’s meant to allude to her relationship with now-fiancé Taylor Kinney, as Gaga played a mermaid in her You & I video where the pair first met. Aw.
2) Miley Cyrus: In case you missed it, Miley’s anchor is stamped across her right wrist. According to her tattoo artist Pop Tats, the Wrecking Ball singer opted for an anchor because she wanted something ‘that refers to a safe port, something that reminded her that she always has a safe place to return to.’ Who knew the twerking-extraordinaire was such a secret softie?
See: Celebrity Tattoos: The Best And Worst
3) Kelly Osbourne: Kelly’s extensive tattoo collection is almost as famous as her, and her huge anchor strapped to her left forearm is hardly subtle. Over the years, the presenter has had many of her inkings removed, but the anchor seems to have stayed put. ‘Some still have a special meaning, like the matching ones my brother Jack and I have of each other’s names,’ she once said. ‘But I now feel like some were a mistake.’
4) Kate Moss: Blink and you’ll miss Kate’s tiny wrist inking, but it’s definitely there. The supermodel might be most famous for the two swallows on her lower back, but we reckon the anchor makes just as much of a statement.
5) Zoe Kravitz: This actress is definitely a fan of the dainty tatt, with a fair few spiritual single line drawings adorning her body. Her simple SJ anchor lies on her left bicep, and blends in perfectly with the rest of her collection.