Pastel hair has been having a major beauty moment for the last few seasons… and it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere soon.
But whether you’re weary if you can pull off the look, would totally not be allowed it for work or your hair’s just too gahd damn dark to lighten and brighten: we’ve come up with the ultimate DIY-er.
We’re calling it the ‘My Little (festival) Pony’ (geddit!?) – perfect for festivals, and without actually having to bleach and dye your hair IRL it’s the easy at-home way to get pastel hair. And here’s how you do it…
1. The key to this look is clip-in extensions. Using clip-ins allows you to experiment with pastel tones, with zero commitment. We used Beauty Works Clip In Extensions, and dyed them using Schwarzkopf’s Ultra Brights colour range, £5.49 (each).
Schwarzkopf Ultra Brights
2. For a super icy pastel tone, mix Schwarzkopf Ultra Brights with conditioner to dilute the bright colour – and opt for white blonde extensions. We used a medium blonde extension shade to get a grungier pastel hue.
3. Once you’ve dyed (and dried!) your extensions, it’s time to start clipping them in. Section hair and clip the extensions into the base of your root. For extra hold, you can backcomb the roots before clipping in the extension.
4. Once your extensions are in place, spritz hair with Schwarzkopf got2b Beach Matt Texturizing Salt Spray, £4,19, to add grit and texture to the hair.
5. Sweep hair up into a ponytail and secure with a hair tie. And voila: the ultimate festival pastel pony!
(Schwarzkopf LIVE Ultra Brights shades we used: Shocking Pink, Pillar Box Red, Electric Blue, Turquoise Temptation and Purple Punk)