The Big Reason Why Hoverboards Could Be Dangerous

Owners of hoverboards have been warned that their gadget may not be safe, after some started spontaneously catching fire.


See: Warning – Why Your Makeup Mirror Could Be A Major Hazard

According to BBC News, Amazon has sent an email to customers who bought specific types of hoverboards, warning them to dispose of the product at their local electrical recycling spot. 

YouTube: The More You Know

 

The online retailers will be offering automatic refunds, and the email explained, ‘We regret the inconvenience this may cause you but trust you will understand that your safety and satisfaction is our highest priority.’

It seems to be those with ‘non-compliant UK plugs’ that are the biggest problem, and Trading Standards have already seized around 15,000 unsafe boards.

The potential to catch fire or explode seems to be down to faulty cables, chargers or plugs.

Amazon, along with Argos and John Lewis, have reportedly stopped selling the devices after finding out the news.



 

These gadgets, which have been famously enjoyed by celebrities including Brooklyn Beckham and Lily Allen, were tipped as one of the must-have Christmas gifts this year. According to the Telegraph, around 500,000 people in Britain have already bought hoverboards as a present this festive season.

Trading Standards have issued some advice for anyone still hoping to buy one: 

  • Never leave the device charging unattended, especially overnight. A faulty cut-off switch means it could overheat.
  • Check the plug. Many faulty devices have a “clover-shaped” plug.
  • If buying online, be careful to check the website is genuine and has a contactable phone number and address.
  • Don’t be dazzled by prices which seem too low. 

But it seems that a lot of high street retailers have stopped selling the product while its safety is being investigated.