Who better to go to for tips on making your career a runaway success than those who’ve been there and done it all before?
From creative powerhouse Steve Jobs to TV motor mouth Oprah Winfrey, these filthy rich icons have definitely been around the block a few times. Take a look at their advice for young people, gleaned from years of blood, sweat and tears in the working world.
1. “Success is a lousy teacher, it seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose.”
– Bill Gates – Founder & former CEO, Microsoft
Overconfidence is the last step before a fall according to the man who invented Windows operating system.
2. “You know you are on the road to success if you would do your job and not be paid for it.”
– Oprah Winfrey – talk show host and TV producer
No amount of money can make you happy if you earn it by being miserable.
3. “Business opportunities are like buses. There’s always another one coming.”
– Richard Branson – Founder, Virgin Group
So don’t get upset if your first career dream doesn’t work out, okay?
4. “Remember that you can do anything you want to do. Don’t let anyone say, ‘You’re not smart enough… it’s too hard… it’s a dumb idea… no one has done that before… girls don’t do that.’
– Meg Whitman – CEO, HP
You heard the lady, get movin’! Anyone who tells you it’s impossible is not a friend to your ambition.
5. “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might has well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default.”
Sign up for the newsletter
Get news, competitions and special offers direct to your inbox
– J. K. Rowling – Author
And Wingardium leviosa to you too JKR.
6. “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards.”
– Steve Jobs – late founder of Apple
So he might not be around to tell us this now, but maybe that’s testament to the truth of this statement. Learn from the past, prepare for the future.