Ok, so we’re getting quite philosophical now. Failing at things happens to us all. We feel sh*tty and think we’re generally rubbish at life. But we’re actually not as bad as we think we are! And our goals ARE achievable.
Here are 4 things you are doing wrong though that could be responsible for your mistakes. Changing your mindset with these tips will change your whole world and make you a success story – promise!
1. Seeing failure as a sign that you’re rubbish at something
Failing at something doesn’t mean that you should give up. Totally the opposite! You just have to try a different way of doing it. Ask yourself these three questions and you’ll feel a whole lot more confident.
- Why did I fail – what can I learn from this and how can I improve?
- Why did I want to do this [insert dream/goal] in the first place – and has anything changed?
- What advice would I give to someone trying to do this for the first time now that I’ve come out the other end?
2. Expecting fast results
Ever heard that saying that good things come to those who wait? Yeah well it’s kinda true. The Handbook of Forensic Assessment: Psychological and Psychiatric Perspectives says: “Don’t expect fast results and don’t spend time or money on the wrong people.” Good advice, guys!
3. Not planning
These are the key steps to take before undergoing any nerve-wracking new task. They will make you feel so much more prepared.
1. Acknowledge that you don’t have all the answers and things can go down an unexpected route
4. Not having a plan of action
You need a plan for when the unexpected does happen. Ask yourself these –
1. How would I deal with X, Y, Z obstacles that could arise?
2. Commit to keep moving forward, no matter what strange turns happen.
Don’t be so hard on yourself! We’re going to be the most successful generation ever, don’tcha know! Just look here.
Sign up for the newsletter
Get news, competitions and special offers direct to your inbox