Soz to make you feel old, but on Friday The Devil Wears Prada turned TEN (we know). To mark the occasion, the stars sat down with Variety, and the secrets that unfolded will blow your mind…
1. Meryl Streep originally turned down the role of Miranda Priestly because she didn’t think they offered her enough money. “The offer was slightly, if not insulting, not perhaps reflective of my actual value to the project,” she told Variety. “Then they doubled the offer. I was 55, and I had just learned, at a very late date, how to deal on my own behalf.”
2. All in all, the costumes for The Devil Wears Prada came in at a cool $1 million. Caj.
3. Anne Hathaway’s ex-boyf Rafaello Follieri used to stop her working nights. Director David Frankel said: “She was living with a guy who was a felon and embezzler. He didn’t want her to be working at all; he hated that she worked nights. She was always fragile when we shot late.”
4. Apparently the movie is based on novel author Lauren Weisberger’s experience as Anna Wintour’s assistant IRL. Scary.
5. The studio actually wanted Rachel McAdams to play the role of Andy, but she turned it down to focus on “more independent films”. Poor Anne.
6. Meanwhile, Hathaway wanted the role of Andy so bad that she marked the words ‘hire me’ in the sand of a zen garden (yes, they’re a thing) in Fox’s former executive vice president’s office. LOL.
7. Miranda’s character was inspired by Clint Eastwood and Mike Nichols. Yes, really. Apparently the voice came from Clint and the humour from Mike. And the walk? All hers, thank you.
8. Despite leaving us in the lurch for several years before landing in cinemas, the film only took 55 days to film from start to finish.
Sign up for the newsletter
Get news, competitions and special offers direct to your inbox
9. Emily wasn’t originally meant to be British, but when Emily read for the role, she went with a “stern British accent” and the director loved it. *Hums national anthem*
Enlightened? Us, too.