It’s Time To Stop Wearing Hair Bands On Your Wrist

If you’re a girl who likes to tie a hair band round her wrist for emergency situations, we’ve got terrifying news for you.

Because one woman found out the dangers of that innocent little hair tye when something AWFUL happened to her due to the glittery hair band she wore round her wrist.

You see, Audree Kopp was just a normal woman from Kentucky, who clearly had long hair in need of tying up every now and then.

But after wearing one of her trust hair bobbles on her wrist for a while, she noticed a bit of swelling under her skin. 



Read: WARNING: This Green Tea Could Give You Heptatitis…



 

Getting antibiotics for what she assumed was a spider bite, Audree then worried when the tablets failed to have any effect.

Rushing to A&E after her wrist got worse and worse, Audree soon found out that she’d narrowly escaped contracting sepsis (blood poisoning) from her glittery hair tie. Eek!

So how on earth did this happen?!

Well, bacteria on hair bands can get into your bloodstream via the pores and hair follicles in your skin, as Dr Amit Gupta, who treated Audree, explained.



 

‘You can’t put all these hair-ties around the wrist particularly because it can cause problems with the skin, it can cause infection.’

In the end, doctors had to slice into Kopp’s wrisr to drain the pus from the wound (ewww), but thankfully, Audree was fine.

‘Thank god that I caught it in time’, she said. ‘Once it gets into your bloodstream, people have been known to go into a coma, your body shuts down it could have been way worse.’

Now do you see why we warned you? Maybe leave those hair bobbles in your handbag, ladies…