Vegan recipes. We bet you’re thinking, but what can I actually eat? Right? Well, a lot more than you might realise is the answer. There’s a reason the vegan diet is so popular right now, and vegan recipes are amazingly good once you get your head around the ingredients. Living a vegan lifestyle means excluding all animal products and by-products from your diet and adopting a plant-based diet instead. The benefits are said to be plentiful, with devotees reporting increased energy levels, weight loss and glowing skin.
Vegan recipes open up a whole new world for your taste buds, and with super cool celebrities like Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez as vegan advocates, it’s easy to see the appeal. Let’s face it, if the sound of a choc chip almond cookie doesn’t make your mouth water, we don’t know what will.
There are so many great vegan recipes around, but we know it can be pretty overwhelming trying to figure out which recipe to take on first. Then there’s the time factor – no-one has enough time everyday to whip up a grand vegan feast fit for Queen Bey. Especially on those hungry days when all you want is a quick meal that will be ready and in your belly in under 30 mins flat.
So to make giving vegan a go that little bit easier, we’ve got the best vegan recipes for you here. From dinner to dessert, these quick and easy vegan ideas wont break the bank or leave you with a shopping list longer than your arm. Just a happy tummy!
Frozen Berries Smoothie
- 1 bag of frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup of water
- grapes for garnish
Sign up for the newsletter
Get news, competitions and special offers direct to your inbox
- In a blender add half a cup of water, then pour in half the pack of berries and the rest of the water and blend till smooth.
- You will need to be patient and aim to blend for 2 mins for a smoothie consistency. Garnish with grapes on a cocktail stick.
Lemon And Coriander Hoummous
- 1 x 400g tin organic chick peas, drained and rinsed
- Large bunch coriander, roughly chopped, reserving 1Tbsp to scatter
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½tsp ground coriander
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1tbsp tahini
- 3tbsp olive oil
- In a food processor or blender, blend all the ingredients until you have a smooth paste. Taste and season, then scatter with the remaining coriander. The houmous will keep for 3 days in a sealed container in the fridge.
Baked Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 medium vine tomatoes, approx 125g (4½ oz) each
- 75g (3oz) long grain and wild rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 25g (1oz) pine nuts, toasted
- 25g (1oz) currants
- 1tbsp mint, finely chopped
- 1tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- pinch ground cinnamon
- Slice the tops off each tomato to create a lid about 1cm (½in) thick, and set aside. Remove the pulp, roughly chop and set aside. Salt the inside of each tomato then set upside down on a wire rack to drain. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside.
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a small saucepan and sweat the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the tomato purée and the tomato pulp, season with salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes until reduced and thick. Remove from the heat, stir in the cooked rice, pine nuts, currants, mint, parsley and cinnamon. Stir well and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Heat oven to 190C, 170C fan, 375F, gas 5. Lightly oil a baking dish that will hold the tomatoes snugly. Pack the tomatoes with the filling. Replace the tomato lids, drizzle with the remaining oil and bake for 25 minutes.
Roasted Sweet Potato and Almond Salad
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 200g (7oz) cherry tomatoes
- 1 x 150g bag rocket
- 1 x 250g bag baby spinach
- 4 avocados
- 4tbsp blanched almonds, toasted
For the dressing
- 6tbsp avocado oil
- 2tbsplemon juice
- 1tbsp fresh green pesto sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, 400F, gas 6. Put the sweet potatoes into a roasting tin, add the oil and toss well. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast till tender. Add the cherry tomatoes 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
- To assemble, divide the leaves among 8serving bowls or plates. Halve, stone and peel the avocados. Slice thickly, top with the sweet potato and tomato mix. Scatter over the almonds. Mix together the avocado oil, lemon juice and pesto, drizzle over and serve.
Vegan Choc Chip Cookies
- 500 g of ground almonds
- 1 small pack of vegan chocolate chips
- 5 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- Pour all the ingredients into a mixing bowl
- With a wooden spoon mix till all the ingredients are well blended
- Line and grease a baking tray with coconut oil and grease proof paper
- Scoop 2 tbsp of the mixture into hands and form round balls
- Place onto baking sheet using a fork to form circular cookie shapes
By Victoria Adegboyega