We’re only just into February, and yet we’ve already spied tonnes of famous ladies working the slicked down ponytail this year.
First up, Khloe Kardashian. The 31-year-old recently cut her hair into a chic, modern bob, and her new favourite short hairstyle seems to be slicking it back into an oh-so-fierce low ponytail. Love.
Rosie Huntington-Whitely, another famous lady who recently got the chop, also recently wore her new short locks slicked back in a high-shine updo at the Critics’ Choice Awards. Gorge.
If you’re loving this sleek and chic look as much as we are, then you’ll want to know how to recreate it at home. But there’s a trick you’ll want to learn first…
This comes from Kim Kardashian‘s hairstylist Michael Silva, who’s created a how-to video on her website.
Before pulling your hair into the pony, ensure you break out the hairspray. This involves running your fingers through your hair, lifting up the roots and spraying throughout the layers underneath, then combing it through with your fingers.
As Michael says: ‘This will be the foundation.’ Just remember to hold the can a good seven to ten inches away from your head, to ensure you don’t end up with a stiff feel.
Here’s what else you need to know…
1. Start with a detox shampoo to strip your hair of any oil or dirt and leave you with the perfect clean base to start with. We recommend Kevin Murphy’s Angel Wash, £18.
2. Next, apply a palmful of KMS California MOISTREPAIR Revival Creme, £12.40, through your locks before blowdrying poker straight. This multi-tasking ‘hand cream for hair’ restores hair moisture balance and controls static flyways, leaving you with soft, smooth and easy to manage locks.
3. Once dry, part hair down the centre.
4. Spray with hairspray and use Michael Silva’s trick (see above).
5. Pull it back into a low ponytail using a small-toothed comb to iron out any bumps. Secure tightly with a thin hairband and secure any strays with kirby grips.
6. Finish by spritzing your hair with Kardashian Beauty Pure Glitz Hairspray, £4.79.