We all love a pedicure, right? They get our tootsies feeling buffed and smooth and our toenails looking glam and heels-ready.
But one woman definitely didn’t have the same opinion after a nightmare visit to a nail salon in Arkansas, USA. Eek.
Stacey Wilson ended up contracting a nasty infection from her pedi. WARNING: The pictures aren’t pretty…
Speaking to KATV, Stacey’s revealed that her troubles began when the woman attending to her feet was ‘too rough with the pumice stone’, resulting in cuts to her feet.
‘She knew she had hurt me a little bit,’ she says.
By the next day, her ankle had become sore and red. Two days after that, she was in so much pain she couldn’t stand, her skin was red up to her knee and she’d developed a fever.
‘It feels like you’re sitting too close to a fire and you just cannot get away from it, that’s the way it feels,’ she explains. NOT pleasant.
Luckily, Stacey works as a nurse at a hospital. So she decided it was time to head to the emergency room.
There, doctors confirmed that she was suffering from cellulitis, a bacterial infection that causes tenderness, swelling, pain and redness.
It’s caused by a type of bacteria entering the skin, usually by way of a cut, abrasion or break.
Basically, if the person doing your pedi ends up cutting you and their equipment isn’t sterile, you could end up in trouble.
The hospital’s Dr. Michael Pafford says: ‘Pedicures and manicures aren’t the only that cause it, but we definitely we do see it associated with that.’
Sign up for the newsletter
Get news, competitions and special offers direct to your inbox
So what should you do if you’re worried about the way your pedicure is going?
He adds: ‘Recognising you have the right to refuse them from continuing if you think they’re not using sterile equipment. That’s the best thing to do.’
With Stacey spending four days recovering in hospital, we’ll definitely be remembering that one from now on.