It’s not fun when your skin is misbehaving… An angry complexion can lead to dry patches, dullness, excess oil or redness, so how do you go about faking complexion perfection when your skin is struggling?
Worry not, because we’re about to offer up our top foundation hacks to get you looking just as gorgeous as ever. Off we go…!
1. Pre foundation prep. Joyce Bonelli, Khloe Kardashian’s make up artist says to swap regular moisturiser for a tinted version and then apply your foundation after. The result is perfectly even skin as the moisturiser and foundation together even skin tone and fill in gaps or smears in the foundation. Khloe uses Laura Mercier Tinted Moisuriser, £34 and then Marc Jacobs Full Cover Foundation, £37
2. Pick your primer. Try Make Up For Ever’s Hydrating Primer, £24, (available exclusively at Debenhams) instead of your usual cream one to give a shot of hydration to the skin. For more options, check out our Best Primers gallery, plus find out how to apply primer for the best results.
3. Reverse your regime. Put your moisturiser on before you get in the shower – the steam in the shower will help it sink in in a big way. Find the best one for you with our best moisturisers round-up.
4. Mask it. Take the time out to use a nourishing sheet mask before applying your foundation to give a dewy glow. We love Estee Lauder’s Cyber White Extra Brightening Radiance Recovery Masks, £48 for 6.
5. Find the perfect foundation. If you’re struggling to find the right foundation formula our top tip is to head over to Debenhams ASAP. The beauty hall is packed with on-counter experts that will match you up to the exact shade and formula for your skin type. Plus they’ll send you away with a sample of foundation* so you can road test it in real life – meaning you can be 100% happy it’s your foundation soulmate before parting with that hard-earned cash. The best bit? If you’re a beauty addict (like us), you’ll be super excited to hear that when you do invest in any foundation at Debenhams, you’ll get a whopping £5 worth of Beauty Club Card points to spend on future products – next stop, new mascara!
Sign up for the newsletter
Get news, competitions and special offers direct to your inbox
6. Cream, liquid or powder? Whilst a powder foundation can be brilliant for blemish-prone skin as it reduces shine and gives a matte finish, a liquid or cream foundation tends to hold more moisture better, giving a lovely, hydrated finish. Make sure you suss out your skin type before choosing!
7. Colour correctors are key. Apply a corrector to any areas of discolouration before you apply your foundation to neutralise your base. The new Givenchy Acti’mine Colour Correctors, £27 each, are perfect for the job! Not sure which shade to use? Check out our handy guide here.
9. Don’t forget your neck: One of the biggest mistakes women make when it comes to foundation is that they don’t apply it down to their neckline. Make sure you apply the foundation all the way your neck, so that the face and the neck are the same shade.
*Terms & Conditions: Samples are available directly from brand counters but may vary by store and are subject to availability. One set of bonus points per customer per day. Qualifying spend to be on foundation and in one transaction. £5 is equivalent to 500 points. Offer ends 24 April 2016.
Now check out our Beauty Writer Victoria Jowett showing you how to cheat your way to flawless skin with these simple foundation hacks below…